What Evidence do I need to Petition for my Spouse?

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can apply for immigrant visas for their spouses.  First, an applicant must submit proof of marriage.  This must be a valid, certified document that is enumerated by the Department of State’s reciprocity guidelines for the particular country where the couple was married.  Secondly, an applicant/petitioner must show proof the marriage was entered into in good faith.  This can be a complicated standard for a couple to meet and the amount and type of documents submitted is determined by the length of the marriage, how the couple met, the differences between the couples, the reasons for marriage, and the length of the relationship.  The evidence outside of a marriage certificate can include but are not limited to:

  1. Proof of Joint assets and debts (Bank accounts and life or health insurance);
  2. Proof of money being sent by petitioner to spouse;
  3. Proof of trips made by petitioner to see spouse;
  4. Photos of petitioner and his/her spouse post marriage;
  5. Affidavits from friends and family who can attest to the bona fide nature of the marriage;

It is very important to seek out the counsel of a qualified immigration attorney to learn about the types of documents that a couple must gather and ultimately submit to USCIS. Call Kasturi Law, LLC at 6303928101 to further discuss.

COVID-19 Alert

Kasturi law, LLC  understands these are extremely challenging times for all of us. Kasturi Law, LLC is available for an attorney consultation via phone, Skype, and Zoom to anyone with a matter related to immigration and nationality law.  Advise can be sought on family-based (green cards, K1 visa’s, consular processing) , Vawa, U Visa,  maintenance of non-immigrant status and other U.S. immigration matters.  We are taking new cases. Please feel free to contact 630-392-8101 or email kasturilaw@gmail.com or info@kasturilaw.com.