29 South Webster Street, Suite 370 Naperville, IL 60540



K1 Visa / Fiancée Visa

K1 Visa / Fiancée Visa

What is a K1 Visa?

This visa allows a US Citizen to sponsor their fiancée (foreign national) to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. The US Citizen and their fiancée have 90 days to marry once they enter the country. If they do not marry within the 90 days, the fiancée (foreign national) has to return back to their home country or is subject to removal from the United States.

Who is eligible to file such a petition? What are the requirements?

What is process?
There are several steps to the process:

The Initial: File the petition.

The U.S. citizen petitioner applicant should file I-129F. After USCIS reviews/approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC provides a case number and will send your petition to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate where your beneficiary (fiancée) resides.

The Next Step: Apply for a visa

The NVC will mail a notification when it forwards the case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. At this point your foreign national (fiancée) will need to apply for the K1 visa and prepare for an interview. At the interview, foreign national fiancée will need to provide a host of documents outlined in the letter provided by the National Visa Center. It is also a good idea to review the document requirements of that particular consulate that reviews K1 visas. There also will be a medical examination (by an authorized panel physician) that must be completed by the fiancée prior to any visa being issued. This medical examination cannot be completed by just ANY physician. It is important to review the request for documentation and completion of the medical exam very thoroughly.

The Final Step:

Once you are issued a K-1 visa, the Consular Officer will provide the foreign national fiancée with a passport containing the K-1 visa and a sealed packet containing certain documents prepared by Embassy or Consulate. It is crucial not to open the sealed envelope. This envelope will only be opened at the port of entry in the U.S. by an immigration official. The issued visa is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance.

What about my children? Can they enter with me?

As a K1 visa applicant, one may apply for K-2 visas for children. However, separate applications must be filed for each applicant. Further, if these K2 visas are approved, the children applicants (K2 visa holders) may enter with the parent (K-1 visa holder) or after the parent has entered the US.

How long does the process take? How long will it take to get the visa approved?

The process times vary based on the case and consular/embassy processing times.

My petition has expired. What now?

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date it was approved. A consular offices does have the discretion to extend the duration of the petition if it expired prior to when the visa processing was completed.

Are there any waivers available?

There may be a waiver available if the foreign national has been convicted of a crime. It is important to consult an attorney to discuss the case specific facts. Please feel free to contact my office for a consultation.

There also may be a waiver available for those petitioners who are not able to demonstrate that they met their foreign national fiancée within the last 2 years of the application. One waiver (exception) is based upon being able to demonstrate that extreme hardship would be experienced by the K-1 petitioner. The second waiver (exception) is based on if this requirement “would violate strict and long-established customs of the beneficiary’s foreign culture.” 

How can Kasturi Law, LLC ( Attorney Shobhana Kasturi )assist you?

Discussing in detail the time frame and process/cost involved.
Submitting Form I-129..
Providing a detailed checklist of documents needed.
Reviewing ALL documentation related to the filing.
Following up with the embassy/consulate as needed
Preparing the beneficiary for the consulate interview.
It is important to consult an attorney to discuss you case specific facts. Please feel free to contact my office for a consultation.