What is the ‘Lawful Permanent Resident Card’ or otherwise commonly known as Green Card?

Green Cards afford permanent resident status in the United States. One can acquire this via the following:

  • Family

  • Employment

  • Refugee Status

  • Asylee Status

  • The Diversity Immigrant Program

  • K Non-Immigrant Status

  • The Legal Immigration Family Equity Act

  • The Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

To find out more information regarding the manner in which one can secure a Green Card, please feel free to contact our office to discuss your case specific options.

How can Kasturi Law, LLC (Attorney Shobhana Kasturi) assist you?

  • Assist with filing for a replacement green card if you have lost or had your green card stolen.

  • Assist with filing for a replacement green card if your green card has expired.

  • Assist with filing for green card if you have a refugee status and need to apply for adjustment of status.

  • Assist with filing for a green card if you have asylee status and are looking to adjust your status.

  • Are you a DACA recipient married to a US Citizen wanting to explore if you may be eligible for a green card? Kasturi Law can assist with this.

  • Do you have TPS status and wanting to explore if you may be eligible to file for a green Card? Kasturi Law, LLC can assist with this.

  • Assist with applying for commuter status.

Attorney Shobhana Kasturi ( Owner at Kasturi Law, LLC )  is dedicated to zealous and effective representation. Call 630-392-8101 today or email info@kasturilaw.com today for a 10 minute free consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Green Card (Lawful Permanent Resident Card):

What is the value of the Green Card?

It allows one to lawfully reside and work in the United States. One can secure a social security card and a valid state ID.

Can I travel outside the country with the Green Card?

Yes, one can travel outside the county with the Green Card but there are rules regarding how much time a Green Card holder can spend outside the United States and still maintain their green card. Before one plans to be outside the country for longer than 6 months (or extended periods), one should consult an attorney.

How long is a Green Card Valid?

Green Cards are typically valid for 10 years and conditional green cards are valid for 2 years.

What if my Green Card expired?

If there were no conditions on the Green Card and it expired after 10 years, one can still renew the card. Green Cards (without conditions) can expire, but permanent residency does not expire.  However, typically you want to start the process of renewing your Green Card six months before it expires. If one has a conditional Green Card, then one have to file to have the conditions lifted prior to the expiration of the 2 years.

I got my Green Card before I turned 14. Do I need to renew it?

Green Cards issued before the holders’ 14th birthday need to be renewed by the 14th birthday (unless the card expires before the 16th birthday).

My Green Card was lost, stolen or destroyed. What can I do?

One can replace the lost card by filing a I90 form.

Each case is different, please feel free to contact my office at 630-392-8101 or email me at info@kasturilaw.com.

About Shobhana R. Kasturi

Kasturi Law LLC services client(s) throughout the Chicago land metro area including but not limited to DuPage, Kane, Cook, Lake, Will, Grundy, Kendall, DeKalb, Lasalle, Mchenry counties. Feel free to call us at +1 630-392-8101 or email me at info@kasturilaw.com to discuss your case and set up an appointment.

Talk to a professional and solution oriented immigration attorney

COVID-19 Alert

Kasturi law, LLC  understands these are extremely challenging times for all of us. Kasturi Law, LLC is available for an attorney consultation via phone, Skype, and Zoom to anyone with a matter related to immigration and nationality law.  Advise can be sought on family-based (green cards, K1 visa’s, consular processing) , Vawa, U Visa,  maintenance of non-immigrant status and other U.S. immigration matters.  We are taking new cases. Please feel free to contact 630-392-8101 or email kasturilaw@gmail.com or info@kasturilaw.com.